Marco Van Basten, FIFA Chief Technical Development Officer has sent the football world into a frenzy with some utterly absurd football rules he is proposing. The Dutch who was appointed last September wants offside rule, extra time abolished. He also wants time limit for penalty shoot-outs, 90 limits split into 4 quarters and the introduction of sin-bins and orange cards.
“We must keep looking for ways to improve the game. To make it more honest, more dynamic, more interesting, so that what we offer is attractive enough. There are lots of variations which need to be tested in the coming years.” The ex FIFA World Player of the Year told German newspaper Sport Bild
Van Basten’s ideas
- Introduction of ice-hockey style shootouts instead of extra-time and go straight to penalties in cup games
- Introduction of sin bins and orange card replacing yellow card
- Give players eight seconds to run at the goal from 25 metres instead of the traditional penalty
- Abolish the offside rule
- Play four quarters, rather than two halves
- More substitutions
- Clamp down on timewasting
- Limit players to five fouls
- Limit the number of games a player can play each year
- Only captain can speak to the referee
Who agrees with him?