Month: July 2018

I am Ozil! German fans protest in support of Arsenal midfielder (Photos)

Hundreds of fans gathered in Berlin on Sunday wearing t-shirts bearing the slogan ‘I am Ozil’ & waved Turkish flags alongside German ones in front of publishing house Axel Springer. Demonstration was designed to raise awareness for the perceived racist treatment of Ozil by the media. This development is coming a week after the Arsenal midfielder quit international football following claims of racist treatment and disrespect by the German FA (DFB) about his Turkish background. Announcing his retirement, the 29 year-old said, “I am German when we win, but I am an immigrant when we lose.” He also revealed...

Read More

NFF to send Carl Ikeme on a coaching course.

Following his retirement announcement, the Nigeria Football Federation has offered a lifeline to former Super Eagles first choice goalkeeper, Carl Ikeme. Recall that the 32 year-old called time on his football career following a year-long battle with cancer. In a statement signed by its general secretary Mohammed Sanusi, the NFF stated plans to offer Ikeme a role once he earns the required coaching credentials. “The NFF will find the resources to send Carl Ikeme on a coaching course, and afterwards absorb him into the technical crew of the Super Eagles. That is the least we can do for such a dedicated patriot....

Read More

Super Eagles/Wolverhampton Wanderers goalkeeper announces retirement.

Super Eagles/Wolverhampton Wanderers goalkeeper, Carl Ikeme, who was diagnosed with acute leukaemia in July 2017, has announced his retirement from professional football on medical advice. He now intends to take some time off with his young family before embarking on life after football. Reacting to the news, Wolves executive chairman Jeff Shi said: “Having been at the club since the age of 14, Carl is far more than just a player in our eyes – he is our brother and an important part of our family. When Carl came to tell us his news, yes there was sadness, but...

Read More

German football federation react to Mesut Ozil’s ‘racism’ claims

The German Football Federation (DFB) has denied Mesut Ozil‘s accusations of “racism” and insists footballer should provide answers for his photos with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. The renowned midfielder quit German national team in a lengthy statement released on Sunday citing racism and disrespect. A statement read, “The DFB would have been happy if Mesut Ozil remained in the team, but he has chosen otherwise. We respect that and it is a sign of respect that we leave some of the statements that we do not agree with in terms of content and tone uncommented in public. We emphatically reject the DFB being linked to racism.” The statement continued, “The DFB regrets Mesut Ozil’s decision to step down from the national team. But it does not affect the association’s determination to continue its successful work on integration.”...

Read More

FIFA Release nominees for #TheBest 2018 list

One of football’s most anticipated awards nominations list is out. FIFA today revealed the shortlisted candidates for four of the individual trophies, which will be presented at The Best FIFA Football Awards ceremony in London on 24 September 2018. FIFA will announce the final lists of the three nominees for each of the four categories listed above in early September. The awards will honour the sport’s top players and coaching talent from around the world, recognising their extraordinary achievements over the past season. Two panels of renowned experts, revealed earlier this month, have decided upon the shortlisted candidates based on their...

Read More

Twitter reacts to Mesut Ozil’s retirement from international football.

Yesterday, Mesut Ozil announced that he will no longer play for the German national side citing the disrespect he’s faced because of his Turkish roots. The 29 year-old who is touted as one of the greatest midfielders of his generation, made the announcement  on his Twitter page. The former Real Madrid player said he felt singled out for the failure of his team to advance beyond the group stage at the just concluded  2018 World Cup. Read his full statement below: The past couple of weeks have given me time to reflect, and time to think over the events of the...

Read More

No surprises as Chelsea FC sack Antonio Conte as coach.

After two years in charge at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea have sacked Antonio Conte from his position as head coach. The Italian who guided the Blues to a memorable Premier League title win in his first season, and a FA cup victory was told he was axed at a meeting today, sky sports reports. Chelsea’s dismal performance during the 2017/2018 campaign which did not only see them finish 5th on the premier league table but also made them finish a 30 points behind Manchester City, is not unlikely to be responsible for this development. Antonio Conte has the best win...

Read More

“The moment has arrived for a new cycle.” Ronaldo in emotional tribute to Real Madrid fans.

Cristiano Ronaldo has written an open letter to his fans in the wake of his €105m move to Juventus today. The 33 year-old thanked the club, colleagues and his fans for their support throughout his 9-year spell, adding that he is leaving to start a new chapter in his life. The Portuguese’s letter was published on Real Madrid’s website. Read below: “These years in Madrid, and in this city of Madrid, have been possibly the happiest of my life. I only have feelings of enormous thanks for this club, this fanbase and this city. I can only give thanks to...

Read More

Real Madrid confirm the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus for €105m.

Portuguese forward, Cristiano Ronaldo has put an end to his 9-year stay in Spain after agreeing to join Italian champions, Juventus on a 4-year old deal worth around £88million. The current world best player who scored a record 450 goals in 438 games, and won four Champions League titles with Real – and the move, believed to be worth around £88million, will be seen as a big step forward for Italian football. A statement from Real Madrid read: “Real Madrid C. F. communicates that, according to the will and request expressed by the player Cristiano Ronaldo, we have agreed to transfer him...

Read More

Spain appoint Luis Enrique on a two-year deal

Former Barcelona coach, Luis Enrique has been named Spain’s new head coach, the Spanish Football Federation (SFF) have announced.. This development is coming after Fernando Hierro stepped down from temporary charge following their last-16 World Cup exit to Russia.  Recall that Spain sacked their former coach Julen Lopetegui just two days before their opening World Cup game against Portugal in Sochi. “We need a successful coach, who’s modern and who knows the game style but can make small adjustments. We can’t swipe everything clean, with regards to all the work carried out.” Spain’s new sporting director, José Francisco Molina, maintained....

Read More