RIO Olympics: NOC releases Zika virus prevention guidelines for Nigerians
• After the Games, all travellers should practice safer sex, including the correct and consistent use of condoms, or abstain from sex for at least eight weeks after their return;
• Men who experience symptoms of Zika virus disease during or after their return, should adopt safer sex practices or abstain from sex for at least six months;
• Pregnant women whose sexual partners travelled to Brazil should practice safer sex practices or abstain from sex for the duration of their pregnancy. Couples or women planning a pregnancy should wait at least eight weeks after return from Brazil before trying to conceive; and 6 months if the male partner was symptomatic;
• All travellers should use personal protective measures such as insect repellent for at least three weeks after returning from the Games to avoid being bitten and potentially spreading the infection to other people through mosquito bites; and,
• Travellers should not donate blood for at least four weeks after departure from Brazil to reduce the potential risk of onwards transmission.