Cristiano Ronaldo has for the second time cemented his status as the world’s wealthiest current footballer, according to the Goal Rich List 2015. His net worth- is €210m.
The Rich List, compiled by Goal.com, the world’s largest digital football brand, sees the Real Madrid superstar beat off the challenge from Barcelona rival Lionel Messi, with Ronaldo’s estimated wealth now running at €210 million.
It is a further indicator to Ronaldo’s current standing in the game, having last season won the Champions League, a success that ultimately saw him crowned 2014 Ballon d’Or winner.
While Messi is second on the Rich List, the gap between him and Ronaldo has increased slightly over the past year, though both remain firmly ahead of the pack, with another La Liga star, Barcelona’s Neymar, the best of the rest in third place having been listed sixth just 12 months ago.
The major European leagues are well represented, though there is also a significant contingent from those who are forging new careers in the USA, led by Brazilian superstar Kaka.
Though still playing at the highest level for club and country, Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon drops out of the Rich List Top 10, as does Arsenal great Thierry Henry having announced his retirement from the game and excluding himself from consideration.
Replacing them in the 2015 table are: Real Madrid legend Raul, now with New York Cosmos appears at eight in the Rich List, while Chelsea great Frank Lampard, currently with English champions Manchester City but who will move to New York City at the end of this season, is placed at No10.
The Goal Rich List is collated by a team of analysts and takes into account all streams of revenue for active footballers over the course of their careers.
Only current professionals are eligible with the earnings of more than 200 contenders assessed before Goal’s experts finalised on their selection.
Commenting on the announcement of the Goal Rich List 2015, Graham Shaw, Editorial Director of Goal.com, said; “Ronaldo and Messi are the two best footballers in the world currently and their fortunes now put them up with the top names in cinema and music. These levels are entirely warranted because these players are global entertainers.
“This year’s comprehensive list will again provide real talking points for Goal’s userbase of football followers worldwide.”
Goal Rich List 2015 – Top 20
1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) – €210m
2. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – €200m
3. The Neymar family (Barcelona) – €135m
4. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (PSG) – €105m
5. Wayne Rooney (Manchester United) – €103m
6. Kaka (Orlando City) – €96m
7. Samuel Eto’o (Sampdoria) – €87m
8. Raul (New York Cosmos) – €85m
9. Ronaldinho (Queretaro) – €83m
10. Frank Lampard (Manchester City) – €80m
11. Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern) – €75m
12. Rio Ferdinand (QPR) – €72m
13. Gigi Buffon (Juventus) – €68m
14. Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) – €64m
15. Yaya Toure (Manchester City) – €62m
16. Franck Ribery (Bayern) – €61m
17. Francesco Totti (Roma) – €60m
18. Gerard Pique (Barcelona) – €58m
19. Sergio Aguero (Manchester City) – €58m
20. John Terry (Chelsea) – €56m